You want your employees working in an environment that embraces inclusion. Diverse cultural perspectives can inspire creativity and innovation, produce a higher quality experience for your guests, and enhance your marketing efforts. It is also an opportunity for personal and professional growth for your employees.
In this assignment, you identify challenging cultural diversity issues, examine the main causes and effects of the issues you have identified, and explore possible solutions for overcoming problematic issues.
Imagine you are the human resource director for a large hotel chain with locations in the following metropolitan cities:
- New York, NY
- Los Angeles, CA
- Boston, MA
- Detroit, MI
- Denver, CO
- Atlanta, GA
- Miami, FL
- Phoenix, AZ
- Chicago, IL
- Las Vegas, NV
- Cleveland, OH
- Little Rock, AR
You have been asked to write a report to your management highlighting problematic diversity issues that may arise in cities where your hotels are located. You have also been asked to propose possible strategies and solutions that will help to minimize the issues from affecting your diverse workforce.
Identify 3 challenging diversity issues to discuss in your report (e.g., race, class, gender, sexuality, religion, age, language, disability).
Write a 525- to 700-word report that addresses each of the 3 diversity issues you have identified. Each issue should be addressed in approximately 175 to 235 words.
Complete the following in your report:
- Describe the 3 issues (select different issues than those you have addressed in previous weeks of this course).
- Identify the city (or cities) where your hotels are more likely to see or experience each issue. Describe why you believe these issues will affect your business in the city or cities.
- Examine the causes of each issue. From your perspective, why did each become an issue, and why does each issue continue to exist?
- Identify the steps the company can take to address these issues and minimize the effects on your diverse workforce now and in the future. Consider both the perspective of the company as well as the individual.
- Include APA-formatted references at the end of your presentation for full points.
Include a reference page at the end of the proposal. Use a citation generator, such as the Reference & Citation Generator in the Center for Writing Excellence for guidance on formatting your reference list using APA format. Consult the References page on the APA Style website for assistance. Don’t worry about perfection. If you make a mistake, your faculty member can help, so please let your faculty member know if you have any questions.