Part 1: Interview and Observation
Discuss the eight components of SIOP (Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol) with your mentor teacher. Include the following questions in your discussion:
- What are the English language proficiency levels of the ELL students in your classroom and what other student background information do you take into consideration when preparing lessons?
- How do you determine appropriate content and language objectives? How do you ensure students are not only aware of the objectives, but that your lesson has supported them?
- What are 3-4 strategies you regularly use to support English language learners?
- At least two additional questions of your own to ask your mentor teacher.
Using “Appendix A: SIOP (Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol),” observe at least one lesson involving ELLs and focus on only the first three components: Lesson Preparation, Building Background, and Comprehensible Input.
Part 2: Reflection
In 250-500 words, reflect on the following:
- Suggest ways to enhance the observed lesson in the SIOP components of Lesson Preparation, Building Background, and Comprehensible Input.
- Discuss how the teacher accommodated for different English language proficiency levels.
- Address how what you have learned will be applied to your future professional practice.
ELL Classroom Observation Using SIOP – Part I