you will use an interactive database that provides national and state-level data about the health status and behaviors of Americans. You can access the Data, Trends, and Map database through the following CDC link: https://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpao/data-trends-maps/index.html
- fruits and vegetables
- physical activity
- sugar drinks
- television watching
Data can also be filtered by demographics such as gender and race/ethnicity.
- Select any state for location (you will be comparing data from 2 different states).
- Select one of the categories from the list above from the dropdown menu under “Explore by Indicator.” Select a subcategory such as “behavior” or “environmental/policy” if it applies.
- Select “Go.”
- Using the dropdown menu under “view by,” continue filtering your data by age, education, gender, income, or race (select only one of these subcategories).
- Select the workbook icon in the upper right to see the data for your chosen state.
- Record your data in an Excel sheet using columns for sample size and values (example shown below showing Excel calculations and graph for Fruits and Vegetables by Behavior and Education level). Your data should include two different states of your choosing for comparison.
- Calculate the sum and average value for sample size and relevant categories (see Excel tutorial for guidance).
- Create a graph that compares the value data from both states. See the video link below for guidance on creating a clustered column chart.
Clustered column charts in Excel. Youtube. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiqwMM-80II
create a PowerPoint presentation that addresses the following:
- Introduce the health status/behavior category you have chosen (obesity, breast feeding, fruits and vegetables, etc.).
- Compare the data between the two states you have chosen (how do the values differ by category? How does the sample size influence the data for each state and category?)
- Copy and paste your graph into your presentation, summarizing the data shown. How do the average values for each of your states compare to national data? How well do you think each state is performing compared to national levels?
- Submit your Excel spreadsheet with graph as well as PowerPoint presentation.
This assignment includes two submissions – the Excel spreadsheet with data and graph plus a PowerPoint presentation. Your PowerPoint presentation should be approximately 3-4 slides, not including the Title and Reference slides.